Wednesday, January 1, 2014

There are two times I have sat in a theater after a movie and spoken the words “Perfect was movie”. That was when I saw The Silver Linings Playbook and About Time. This movie came close to getting that same praise. I didn't know that Ben Stiller also directed this movie until I was sitting in it and I think he did a great job. It made me want to make friends with him—and I can honestly say I've never thought that before.

 This was a perfect movie to see on New Year's Eve because it embodies a spirit of adventure and living life to the fullest. A couple of things I put on my resolution list this year were to learn how to rock climb and tight rope walk. I want to grab adventure to. A cute, clumsy Walter Mitty made me believe that I can. You don't have to be any certain kind of person to embrace what life has to throw at you. You just have to say yes.

 There were some comical moments in the movie—most of them coming from Walter's day dream sequences. The Benjamin Button dream had us all in stitches. I enjoyed his dreams, but I liked seeing that he grew out of them once he started to live in the real world and take chances. Kristin Wiig was adorable and funny as always. And I really liked her hair that color!

 Sean Penn's character was by far my favorite in the movie. He had a spirit I wish I had and am striving to achieve. In the movie, he plays a fantastic photographer who Ben Stiller's character chases all over the globe to find. He finally finds him in the mountains of ungoverned Afghanistan tracked an elusive snow leopard. When the moment finally comes where he has the chance to snap a picture he doesn't take it. Why? He explains that sometimes you just have to live in a moment like that, without distractions like the camera. Wow!

 Finally, I liked the returning theme of the Life Magazine motto: “To see things thousands of miles away, things hidden behind walls and within rooms, things dangerous to come to, to draw closer, to see and be amazed.” These words showed up in various parts of the screen as Walter was starting to take off on his adventure. I thought that was beautifully done and very inspiring. I look forward to Ben Stiller directing more “serious” movies in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment