Friday, January 17, 2014

Wild and Free

This week I read Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I bought it because I saw a link on Facebook to a lot of good books that were being turned into movies and it sounded very interesting to me. I was not disappointed. This book made me want to get out and hike! Cheryl (I can call her Cheryl because I feel like I know her now) was so descriptive and captivating. I literally felt like I was on the trail with her. In intense moments my breath was ragged, I would be worried. I felt so inspired by this book. And although I have not really seen much of this region, I could see it in my mind so clearly. So beautifully.

This book also made me think a lot about my own life. I want to try new things. I want to be braver. The whole time I was reading, I was fondly recalling my short backpacking trip with my dad when I was younger. That was so much fun. We didn't get to go all the way up the mountain, but the views were beautiful. I can remember that we camped by a small stream that ran along a meadow. My dad spent so many weeks walking during his lunch at work carrying a backpack weighed down with various things. The thought makes me smile, but it also makes me really admire him.

I have every intention of searching the garage to find the camping and backpacking stuff because this summer holds the possibility for adventure! This book was a perfect pick for a winter month, because though I cannot (well I could, but no) go outside and do these things right now, I got to feel like I did from the comfort of my own bed. I recommend to anyone who like memoirs, outdoors, or memoirs about the outdoors. :-) Happy week to you all.


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked it! I felt the same way - heart racing, overall inspired. I think she's an amazing writer and wilderness lady. I can't wait for your month outdoors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might not be a month...it might be a week. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete